Tacita Verba


     The most mindless behaviors, but also the most imperative within cultures across the globe, lie in communication. Copious combinations of sounds, gestures, and actions performed daily to convey emotions and concepts with those around us. The nature and importance of this system can easily be overlooked, until it is actively being restricted. That is the basis of this experiment, the lack of everyday behaviors which we may believe we could manage without. 

    The first part of the experiment required me to speak without words. Communication was to be held only using gestures, body language, and hand signs. My experiment was held with my mother, as I frequently talk with her during meals. The first minute or two were relatively easy, all I had to use was my ears as my mother talked about her day. Difficulty struck when the time came for me to respond. I couldn't immediately curse the man she said had been rude to her at work nor could I add on to her insights about pride influencing a person to distance themselves from a loved one. All she got from me was facial expressions and raised shrugs in frustration. She herself felt a bit isolated, in her words, she felt like "a schizophrenic trying to talk to a creature in her head." She had to constantly throw guesses at what she thought I was trying to tell her until I nodded, which she found a bit tedious. The conversation was definitely being carried by her, she was ultimately the one with the power to choose the topic of conversation and make herself understood most easily. I believe this showed how she, the one with access to spoken language, was naturally the one to dictate the course of events for the duration of the 15 minutes, and how our methods of communication centered on me adjusting my actions to her words rather than her adapting her mannerisms to mine. 

    The second part of the experiment was held the same day after dinner time. My hands were placed on my knees and my mother could only see my chest, shoulders and face. This time, the words in my head could actually leave my mouth but the rest of me was paralyzed. Spending 15 minutes being what my mother described as a "portrait with a text-to-speech voice" proved arduous. The lack of movement in my hands took away from the flow of my voice, as in, the hand gestures that would subconsciously help me visualize what I was going to say were absent and I found myself thinking of what to say for a slightly longer time. According to my mother, the lack of tone change, aside from being unsettling, made it difficult for her to determine what emotion was being emphasized. For example, she could hear the words come out of my mouth saying that the experiment was getting on my nerves, but she could not decipher if those words were sarcastic or if I was genuinely feeling animosity. This is what body language provides in a conversation, it provides emphasis, emotion, visualization. You can say you're excited but, without the body language to express, nobody would believe you if you told them.


    I believe this experiment successfully encompasses how much both corporeal and verbal language go hand in hand with each other. Being deprived of one makes the other weaker. The lack of writing was like a cherry on top to the limitations of this experiment. The ability to write what I wanted to say to my mother would have heavily facilitated the first part of the experiment. With writing, not only could I have provided words, but I would have provided the emotions that came with them. You can show emphasis with capital letters or use punctuation to convey either question or surprise. Many factors provided by our own language have been successful at delivering accurate depictions of communication to the point where books are essentially words on paper recognized for being thought provoking, terrifying, or heartbreaking. Tales from many cultures have been able to be passed down, delivering the same message throughout generations. Were it not for written language, many aspects of ancient societies would not be known today and today's practices that were influenced by them would not exist.

Comments

  1. Hello Alice, you started the first part with the instructions you could not speak with words, and you were only allowed to use gestures, body language and hand signs. you held the experiment with your mother. You said that for the first minute or two they were relatively easy once your mom finished talking and now that it was now your time to respond, you said that all she got was facial expressions and ray shrugs in frustration. you spoke about how she felt a bit isolated she felt like a schizophrenic trying to talk to a creature in her head you talked about how she had to throw guesses and what she thought you were trying to tell her until you were able to nod. which she found a bit tedious the conversation was definitely being carried by her and all of the power about the topic was on her side. you did a great job explaining the first part, if she was from a different culture and you guys were greeting each other for the first time it would most likely be awkward and it would be an engagement that did not accomplish anything as there would be no foundation. at which the two cultures were able to mingle to some sort of understanding whether negative or bad.

    you went on to explain that for the second part of the experiment it was held the same day after dinner time, you spoke about how your hands were placed on your knees and your mother was only able to see your chest, shoulders and face, the words in your head were actually able to leave the mouth. Your mother described it as a portrait of text to speech voice and the lack of movement in your hands took away from your voice, he then spoke about how it overall felt that you were absent, and you found yourself thinking for slightly longer you talked about the lack of tone change could be considered unsettling and made it difficult for her to determine what emotion was being emphasized. Your mom could hear the words coming out of your mouth, but the experiment was getting on her nerves, as there were no words that were able to be deciphered whether sarcastic or genuine. The body language provided the key of understanding how somebody feels and not having that stripped away the actual reality of a normal conversation leaving it empty and nonexistent.

    For the third paragraph that you wrote about, explaining this experiment successfully encompasses how much corporeal and verbal language go hand-in-hand with each other. Then you talked about how many factors provided by our own language have been successful at delivering accurate depiction of communication. to the point where books are essentially words on paper recognized for being thought-provoking, terrifying and heartbreaking. Overall, I think you did an absolutely tremendous job you ran the experiments exactly as they were supposed to be and you ending your conclusion with explaining how the fundamentals of how we speak to each other within our culture can heavily impact those who we reside with and those who would perceive us from an outside perspective unable to create the basis of the human connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Initial comment: When all your points are collapsed into one paragraph, it makes it difficult to parse out your responses to each prompt. It is to your advantage to ensure that your answers are clearly indicated. Separate each set of guideline prompts into separate paragraphs.

    You also seem to miss responses to the last prompt in each section. If you format your post to separate out each prompt into its own paragraph, you may avoid omitting answers.

    Part 1: Very good description of your first experience and well done on your discussion of power and control in the conversation.

    Missing a response to the third prompt?

    Part 2: Again, wonderful description of both your experience here along with your mother's. She is beautifully descriptive in her choice of words!

    The benefits of body language go far beyond just "emphasis, emotion, visualization". Being able to read (and express) body language provides concrete benefits that can directly impact your daily choices and even your ability to survive and live your life successfully. What about the ability to figure out if you can trust someone? Or determine if a person is attracted to you? Or is angry with you (and a possible threat)? Or what about if a person is lying to you? Humans tend to use body language as a type of lie detector. If spoken words don't match with the body language, we are more inclined to believe the body language and doubt the words. Think about how being able to detect liars might help an individual's ability to survive and reproduce.

    Again, missing a response to the final prompt? Make sure you answer all of the questions in the guidelines.

    Part 3: Very good response to the first prompt, but I'm having trouble finding where that response ends and the response to the second prompt begins. I see this line that references "culture":

    "Tales from many cultures have been able to be passed down, delivering the same message throughout generations. "

    Agreed, but isn't there a greater benefit to cultures that use written language? Can you expand on this? Think of how fast information can be spread in this day and age of the internet which, involves a lot of the written word (along with video and audio). It also has an impact on the education of a population, allowing large groups to receive the identical piece of written information, as opposed to spoken, which can be vary in it's presentation over several deliveries and is subject to misinterpretation more readily. You can also record history and events for future generations to remember and learn from.

    Missing a response to the issue of the connection between written language and its impact on globalization? Think of how written language has accelerated the spread of helpful (and harmful) information globally. Consider the pandemic as an example: We were able to spread helpful information about how to control infection and take vaccines very quickly. Unfortunately, false information was also able to spread just as quickly, so there is are positive AND negative impacts from this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alice! The first part of this experiment was definitely challenging . I also had a lot of trouble with not being able to really react the way I would normally. Your explanation of the entire process for me was very well written. It only begs the question of would this part of the experiment of been easier would it have been done with someone who you aren’t as attached to?
    In regards to the second part of the experiment when you stated the lack of your hand movements was hindering your delivery even more. I can also relate to this part of your experience because I tend to use my body a lot when communicating with others. Bringing up the lack of emotion and change of tone in voice only further develops the thought that you aren’t really able to tell whether the individual is sincere with their delivery or not when it is strictly words. For me I felt that speaking strictly with no other add ons like body language and tone of voice was just the same as writing a letter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yictzel, I don't recognize your username and can't locate you on my gradebook. That means I can't assign credit. Email me to let me know who you are so I can score your comments.

      Delete
  4. Hi Alice, I had difficulty in the first part of the experiment as well. It became challenging for me to be able to share my thoughts without using spoken language. This is something I'm gonna think about for a bit as this can make me become more passionate with my body language. Overall good post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After going through and reading your descriptions of your experiment, I found myself regretting that I hadn't written more about my experience with my experiment. The vivid descriptions you wrote helped me understand an angle that I might've missed had I not read it, and I wonder if the readers of my language blog post might miss things as well.

    Another thing I found interesting was the effect of the second portion of the experiment had on you- I found it affected my partner more than it affected me, so to hear you bring up the issues you experienced was an interesting different perspective that I appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment